Avalanche Training, Consulting & Risk Management
I offer a variety of avalanche and snow safety training, consulting, and risk management services in Norway and abroad. Examples include risk management in ski guiding operations, hazard and risk assessments for industry/infrastructure, such as ski resorts, roads and mines, and projects in remote or high-altitude environments.
- Avalanche courses, recreational and professional
- Worker training in avalanche and mountain safety
- Project-specific avalanche courses and training
Current training projects:
- Development and teaching of the avalanche training module (IMFGA standards) for aspiring mountain and ski guides of the >>Russian Mountain Guide Association (RMGA)
- Parnter in development of the >>Russian Avalanche Center
- Avalanche assessments and forecasting
- Avalanche risk identification, analysis, and evaluation
- Risk treatment - implementation of mitigation strategies & monitoring
- Resulting avalanche safety plan
- Snow climate studies
- Expert consultation for projects and event/accident review
- Evaluation of existing risk management plans
- Canadian Avalanche Association Level 3 and ISO 31000 standards
GIS & Avalanche Mapping:
- Wind-field and snow drift modelling based on a terrain parameter and weather station data.
- Avalanche hazard mapping - locator maps, avalanche atlas, avalanche paths
- Visualization of data and hazards for stakeholders to understands hazards, risks and risk mitigation measures
- GIS solutions and worker training; I use open-source software, which is also beneficial for customers if they want to implement or develop long-term software solutions.
- Avalanche Operations Level 3, Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA)
- Professional Member, Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA)
- Ski Guide, Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG)
- ISO 31000 Risk Management practices
- Apprentice Ski Guide, Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG)
- MSc Earth Sciences (SFU Canada) and PhD Candidate Snow & Avalanches (BOKU/Vienna)
More about the Canadian avalanche training system can be found in a publication by E. Grady: >>The Canadian Approach to Professional Avalanche Training
- Avalanche consultant to the Norwegian Geotechnical institut for Stattnet construction site in Skjomen (Narvik, Norway).
- Avalanche consultant for northern Kobi extension of Gudauri Ski Resort (Georgia/Caucasus).
- Quality control for avalanche forecast for a construction site along E39 road in Romarheimsdalen (Hordaland, Norway).